Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Sex Offender Statistics and other Child Protection topics.
According to the Survey of Inmates of State Correctional Facilities by the U.S. Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics, the following statistics have been recorded concerning the characteristics of offenders who violate and assault children.
* Those inmates who were convicted of committing violent acts against children were more like to have been white, a percentage of nearly 70%, than any other race.
* White inmates were nearly three times more likely to have victimized a child than black inmates.
* About one in every seven Hispanic convicts had been convicted for a crime against a child.
* Nearly two-thirds of convicted child molesters and/or offenders were or had been married.
* Child molesters and offenders were more likely to have grown up in a two parent home and were more likely to have been molested as a child.
* Approximately 22% of child offenders reported having been sexually abused as a child.
Actually to say that whites ae more likely is failure of investigation. Blacks are obviously going to be lower in percentage considering their lower percentage of the population without even considering a general level of permissivness in the culture towards this crime and it's non reporting.
Also a large percentage of black males are not a part of their child's life let alone living in the home. Most of any homsexual contact and child molestation will be unreported and below radar.
Where do these stats come from?
Actually its true that whites are far more likely to commit these acts of violence against children than other races. Most every newspaper article or news report identifies white males as the offender.
Were Hispanics included or excluded from the statistic of "70% of all offenders were white"?
Rhain, that's because whites are more numerous in the nation and because newspapers tend to refrain from identifying blacks by race for fear of being called "racist."
|Sheri Ann Richerson|