Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Pedophile Search and Statistics and other Child Protection topics.
The following statements concerning child pedophiles are actually myths.
* Pedophiles only have sex with children, never adults. Not true. Many are in adult relationships.
* Pedophiles randomly pick their victims. Not true. They typically know and have fantasized about their victims.
* Pedophiles are made up only of men. Not true. While men are typically more likely to be child offenders, there are documented cases of women pedophiles.
* Sex offenders are easy to suspect. Not true. Many people are surprised to discover that someone they know is a sex offender.
* Children are afraid of child pedophiles. Not true. Often these people have a close and trusted relationship with the child.
* All pedophiles receive treatment when given prison terms. Not true. Unfortunately, many never receive treatment at all.
|Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.|