Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Megan's Law and other Child Protection topics.
There are several misconceptions concerning Megan's Law sex offenders. Many people believe that these crimes are committed by strangers. People generally believe that Megan's Law offenders use force on the victims, and that only men commit these crimes.
Consider the following facts:
* In 90% of documented cases, the victim knows the offender.
* Nearly 50% of sexual offenders are family members.
* Nearly 80% of those victims who are 12 years and older know their offender.
* In most cases, these sexual offenders used coercion and deception rather than force.
* Not all sex offenders are male.
* The majority of child molesters are attracted to adults.
* Many sex offenders choose both adult and children victims.